I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for AVEENO® Eczema Therapy. I received product samples as well as a promotional item to thank me for my participation. Did you know that more than 30 million people in the U.S. live with eczema (atopic dermatitis)? I was unfamiliar with the skin disorder until I was married. My husband has it as does my teenage daughter. While 1 in 10 kids have eczema and many outgrow it, it is not uncommon for it to come back when you are a teen or adult. Check and check! Caitlin has her eczema on her elbows. If you or someone you know has eczema, you know how that itchy and dry skin can cause such discomfort. It can be super painful and can interfere with your daily life. For instance, Caitlin tends to read with her elbows propped on her desk. This is no bueno if you have those painful rough patches on your elbows! There is no cure for eczema but you can often manage it with these tips:
Tips For Managing Your Eczema
- Scratching: Because eczema is super itchy, it can be pretty tempting to scratch. Your child must resist the urge to scratch, as hard as that may be for them. Not only can scratching the eczema make it worse, it can also cause damage to the skin as well as lead to infection. When Caitlin was younger, we had to make her wear mittens or socks on her hands!
- Temperatures: Another trigger for eczema is managing extreme temperatures. The key is keeping skin from getting too dry. In the summer, run the air conditioner and in the winter, I recommend using a humidifier to keep the air and skin nice and moist.
- Sweating: For many, sweat can either trigger a breakout or really irritate your current eczema. If you are going to be out running and playing or working out, be sure to rinse off with a lukewarm bath as soon as you can.
- Bathing: Although a hot bath feels great, it is terrible for your eczema. A short lukewarm bath using scent free soap is best. Scented soaps have perfumes that can irritate the skin. Personally, I recommend the AVEENO® Eczema Therapy Soothing Bath Treatment. It not only soothes the eczema, but is also great for poison ivy, rashes, insect bites and more. We used this when Henry fell into a poison ivy patch and was covered from head to toe in those horrible red patches. The AVEENO® Eczema Therapy Soothing Bath Treatment was the only thing that took the itch away. Be sure to pat dry when you are done with your bath.
- Moisturizing: When it comes to tips for managing your eczema, at least for us, moisturizing is the most important thing. Caitlin will moisturize several times a day if she is experiencing a breakout. It is crucial to use a good moisturizer often, especially after you take a bath or get wet. We have found only one product that works for us and that is the AVEENO® Eczema Therapy Moisturizing Cream.
I have been a loyal customer of the AVEENO® adult and baby products for many years. They offer a large selection of products for your skin, but we get the most use out of their AVEENO® Eczema Therapy products. They even have a section on their website dedicated to what eczema is, the symptoms, treatment and management. Because October is National Eczema Awareness Month, I felt it was the perfect time to speak about the condition and how to overcome it.
If you are not familiar with the AVEENO® brand and their products, they are best known for using Active Naturals® ingredients in their adult and baby products. The products have been created with top dermatologists and pediatricians and has been awarded the National Eczema Association Seal of Acceptance. This award was in recognition of the Aveeno® brand providing gentle, superior ingredients to soothe skin with eczema. All of the AVEENO® products are fragrance and steroid free, hypoallergenic and are formulated with soothing Active Naturals® Colloidal Oatmeal. This helps with the four symptoms of eczema, which are itch, roughness, dryness and irritation.
We have found that by using the AVEENO® Eczema Therapy products as part of a regular regime for Caitlin, we can break the cycle of irritated skin. If you or someone you know suffers from eczema, I can assure you from personal experience, the AVEENO® Eczema Therapy products work. They are an effective and affordable part of your overall eczema treatment and management regime.
Do you have any tips for managing your eczema to share?