This post is sponsored by Lubrigyn, a new way to keep moisture where it belongs. All opinions are my own! **Adult Content Advisory** This post talks about sex, menopause, vaginal dryness and hygiene and is a sponsored post from Lubrigyn, which means I received product or monetary compensation, but all thoughts and opinions are 100% my own. As I sit here, ready to write this post, I look back on my life and have to smile a bit. I remember thinking on my 25th birthday how old I was and I actually cried! I was terrified about getting older and how it would affect my life.
Now that I am almost 53, I look back and wish I was that “old” again! I have always had a healthy sex life. Whew…now that I have gotten that down in print, I feel I can openly move on from here! I never imagined how much my sex life and my female health would change once I hit the 50 mark. All of a sudden, I have all these wacky things going on with my body that I never expected. Sound familiar? Let me ease your mind and offer some ways to improve your sex life and get your female health back on track.
How To Improve Your Sex Life After You’re 50
- Talk To Your Doctor: My libido went waaaaaaay down after I turned 50. I made an appointment for a complete physical and talked with my doctor about my sexual issues. He was able to offer suggestions as well as offering medication options if that was something I wanted to try.
- Communication: If you are struggling in your sex life, you need to be open with your partner. Once I talked with my husband, he was relieved to find the issues I was experiencing where physical and has nothing to do with him. If you don’t talk with your partner, they may feel they are doing something wrong and you don’t want that to happen.
- Exercise: We gain weight as we get older. It’s a fact. And it sucks. So, with that said, being overweight can be a huge downer when it comes to your sex life. I just don’t feel sexy when I am overweight. So, take a walk, a yoga class or a water aerobics class. You will feel so much better!
- Sleep: As you get older, you don’t always sleep as well as you used to. Getting a good night’s sleep has a direct affect on our sex life. Lack of sleep can lower your libido, lead to depression and other mood disorders.
- Have Sex! I know it sounds silly, but if you are having issues with your sex life, the last thing you want to do is stop having sex. Your vagina can change if you stop having sex, making it difficult to get back into the swing of things when you do want to have sex. Make sex a priority…you know, like when you were first married?
- Be Intimate: I think as we get older and have been in a relationship for a long time, we lose some intimacy. I know after 17 years of marriage, my husband and I are not as intimate as we used to be. And this doesn’t mean just in the bedroom. This means talking, being romantic, taking the focus of the act of intercourse and on the foreplay instead.
- Try New Things: As you get older, your body changes. I have a bad back and it can really hurt during sex. We have found different positions that can lessen the pain and make sex more enjoyable.
- Lubrication and Moisturizing: One of the changes your body goes through when you turn 50, is vaginal dryness. Finding the right lubrication and moisturizer can make all the difference in the world. For me, I use Lubrigyn, a natural alternative to other products on the market that have parabens, hydrocarbons and sodium laurel sulfates.
Lubrigyn is made with the finest quality botanical ingredients and are free of harmful additives. This means a lot to me as I prefer to purchase products with natural ingredients. This is especially true if I am using it on my most private of areas! The lotion is silky as well as non-greasy lotion, so it is comfortable and safe to use daily for your feminine care, hygiene and comfort. In addition, the rich cream moisturizes, soothes, protects and lubricates, giving me comfort in my daily routine as well as during sex. It helps with that vaginal dryness you may be experiencing if you are over 50. And this product is not just for us older gals! Even younger women will experience dryness or painful intercouse brought on by being on oral contraceptives, breastfeeding or even diabetes. Lubrigyn is different than your typical soap, body washes and feminine hygiene cleansers. The Lubrigyn lotion draws out impurities with natural oils rather than harsh or harmful ingredients. By doing so, this cleansing method safeguards and nourishes the hydrolipid film that protects the delicate skin around the vagina. This helps me feel more comfortable, confident and sexy.
You can purchase the Lubrigyn products from your local CVS. The cream comes in a 1.7 ounce pump, which sells for $11.99 and can be used as a personal lubricant or moisturizer. It is meant to enhance the ease and comfort of intimate sexual activity as well as supplement the body’s natural lubrication. Please note it is not compatible with some condoms. The Lubrigyn lotion, comes in a 7 ounce tube and also sells for $11.99. It is a feminine cleanser that offers you gentle and effective hygiene. You can use it to gently moisturize, deodorize and clean your vaginal area. The Lubrigyn lotion is pH balanced, hypoallergenic, and contains natural ingredients. Be sure to stay current with Lubrigyn and like them on Facebook and follow them on Twitter. One USA reader will win $50 in Lubrigyn products.
Are you a woman over 50 who has experienced issues with your feminine health or sex life?
Deb E saysOctober 1, 2015 at 12:53 pm
Yes I’m in that age group and also battle with gut issues (just group the whole stomach/intestinal problems together!) so that also affects things. Exercise helps me the most and I watch my diet very closely but these products are also very helpful and needed.
Kathleen S. saysOctober 2, 2015 at 8:14 am
I’m not yet 50 but about 7 years away from it! :O Can’t believe it! Anyway, my body is going through changes even in my 40’s. It’s good to keep up with the changes we all go through, and be proactive about it.
Darlene Carbajal saysOctober 2, 2015 at 12:20 pm
I am not 50 obviously, but I would like to have this on hand.
Kimmy Ripley saysOctober 2, 2015 at 7:45 pm
No but I’m in my mid-30s and am!
Christine saysOctober 2, 2015 at 9:20 pm
Not quite 50 yet but those kind of problems are an issue. Things are not like they were in my 20s.
breanna pollard saysOctober 3, 2015 at 12:29 am
No I’m not but know plenty who are.
latanya saysOctober 3, 2015 at 8:04 am
I’m not over 50 yet
Jessica Padilla saysOctober 3, 2015 at 2:33 pm
I’m not over 50 yet but we all have different problems down there.
Adrienne Z saysOctober 3, 2015 at 6:08 pm
I am over 50 (not 60 yet) and sex is not as important as it once was. Sorry to say, but true.
Barrie saysOctober 3, 2015 at 8:26 pm
I’m 48 but have issues with vaginal dryness as I’m going through “early” menopause (YES!!).
Laura Royal saysOctober 3, 2015 at 8:30 pm
no, not yet but I know a few ladies who are struggling with these issues.
Heart of a Philanthropist Blogger Kim saysOctober 3, 2015 at 11:13 pm
I am 44. We haven’t had many problems, but we are always open to advice and to try new products! 😀
linni h saysOctober 4, 2015 at 10:37 am
I am in my late 50s and the big M has totally screwed things up. The weight gain, the thinning hair and skin all have worked their negative magic and it is a struggle to feel great about myself sometimes, and we all know you gotta feel good about yourself before you reall “feel good”
Brittney House saysOctober 4, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Not me personally but my best friend is.
Shannon Baas saysOctober 4, 2015 at 10:21 pm
Not quite there but getting close.
Jan Hammersmith saysOctober 5, 2015 at 7:09 am
I would love to try your product.
nickie saysOctober 5, 2015 at 12:07 pm
I’m not over 50 yet
sue v saysOctober 6, 2015 at 1:14 pm
not over 50… but soon will be
Darla Peduzzi saysOctober 7, 2015 at 5:51 pm
I’m 54 and could really use this product.
Anita L saysOctober 7, 2015 at 5:59 pm
I am 52 and have had a need for some help in this department!
Marnie G (Derrick Todd) saysOctober 9, 2015 at 5:24 am
I’m not over 50 yet but I’m getting there.
Sandy Cain saysOctober 10, 2015 at 1:49 pm
I sure am over 50. And… WHAT sex life? Maybe this would help, OMG!
Janis Gibel saysOctober 13, 2015 at 3:50 am
I am over 50 and sometimes needs a little extra … Would love to try this product.
Kimberly M. saysOctober 13, 2015 at 7:22 pm
I had a hysterectomy at age 41 and it didn’t affect me immediately but now that I can’t take estrogen due to cancer in my family I do have problems.
Carolsue saysOctober 16, 2015 at 4:01 am
Yes, I am over 50 and experience this problem sometimes
Dorothy Boucher saysOctober 16, 2015 at 1:12 pm
YES YES YES!!! I feel bad and often just don’t even want to be touched any more, I think I feel out of sort , sort of..
Julie Waldron saysOctober 18, 2015 at 5:11 pm
I’ll be 46 next week & had a hysterectomy 4 and a half years ago, I’m struggling with vaginal dryness during sex & lack of sex drive.
Patrycja Chudziak saysOctober 19, 2015 at 12:44 pm
I’m 42 but due to having serious medical issues since I was 10 years old, my body does not act its age. I feel like I’m 70 yrs. old most days! I experience vaginal dryness often.
susan smoaks saysOctober 19, 2015 at 2:28 pm
i am not yet but getting closer
Bridgette Kolesarwilliams saysOctober 20, 2015 at 6:22 am
I’m over 50, but I have no problems. My friends do though
Lesley F saysOctober 20, 2015 at 5:43 pm
Not over 50 yet but these would be wonderful to use
Rosanne saysOctober 21, 2015 at 12:44 am
Yes being post menopausal sucks! Dry skin dry hair dry everything.
Kelley Roach saysOctober 21, 2015 at 9:42 pm
am not 50 obviously, but I would like to have this on hand.
Trisha McKee saysOctober 22, 2015 at 12:46 am
No, I am not. I am younger.