This is a guest post from my friends in Australia! The first time you step into your new home you’ll feel a sense of excitement and a need to mark it as your own space. The same can be true if you’ve been living there for 2 years! But, renovating and altering your home is not always a cheap option. If you’re working to a budget then you’ll need to decide which projects are the most important. Here are some great ideas to get you started for under 10k.
- The Stairs: Your stairs are often one of the first things that you and visitors see on arrival to your home. It is not normally a great idea to rip these out and replace them. But, you can instruct a balustrade design company to create a beautiful balustrade in any design you like. This will transform not just your stairs but your entire entrance hall; for under 10k.
- Take It Outside: Transforming the curb appeal of your home will transform your property. You need to look at re-laying your driveway, or adding one if you don’t have one. You can also landscape the gardens. Just make sure that the resulting yard is one that suits your needs. You may prefer entertaining to vegetable gardening.
- Internal Walls: Another good and very popular alteration is to remove one of your internal walls. This can transform the space inside your home; allowing the property to become open plan or simply merging two rooms. But, before you start this project be sure to verify that this is not a load bearing wall.
- Replacement Windows: Changing your windows is a relatively easy gesture which can transform the look of your home and reduce your energy bills. You’ll need to check with your local planning guidelines if you are planning to change the look or the color of your windows. Each window should cost approximately $300 installed. You should be able to get them all done for less than your 10k.
- Kitchens and Bathrooms: It is unlikely that 10k will be enough for ripping out and rebuilding your kitchen. However, you can easily brighten and transform both of these rooms by swapping the appliances and replacing cabinet doors and worktops. The effect is the same but the cost is dramatically less.
- Flooring: If you have between 8 and 12 rooms you should be able to replace all your flooring with carpet, vinyl or a laminate wood effect. This will include the fitting charge. Of course, you can opt for hardwood but this is going to be more expensive. It is likely that a room will cost in the region of $1,500.
The Basement: You might not be able to create a basement for 10k, but if you already have one you should be able to transform it into additional space. Whether you want a games room, home gym or simply a second living space; this is the area to look at converting.
Don’t forget that your money will go further if you are prepared to do all the prep work yourself!
What home renovations do you have that could be done for under 10K?