Citrus Chicken Gyro Recipe With Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
One of my favorite foods in the world is chicken on the grill. I love the way it smells when it’s cooking and the way the fat pops and sizzles. And oh my stars, the flavor!! But, after a while, you want a bit more flavor, right?
A Recipe Full Of Bold Flavors!
Oh my goodness, this recipe is so full of flavor but not high in fat. You gotta love that, right? You know it is going to be good when your marinade is thick Greek yogurt, lemon and lime juice, olive oil and salt and pepper.
Tips For The Grilling Process
When you make this recipe, be sure you brush your grill with olive oil. If you don’t, the skewers are going to stick. And trust me, you do not want to leave any of the mouth-watering chicken stuck to that grill! Also, we found the metal skewers work better, so if you have any, use them.
A Multi Faceted Recipe!
I have serviced this recipe two ways, and either one is absolutely delicious. I make enough chicken for two meals, so we can eat it on its own or in a wrap. You can serve the chicken and tzatziki sauce with some couscous, which pairs perfectly with this chicken.
Citrus Chicken Gyro Wrap Recipe With Homemade Tzatziki Sauce
We usually do this on night one. One night two, we make wraps with diced cucumbers, tomatoes, red onions, feta cheese and plenty of sauce in a whole wheat flat bread. This is a sandwich that tastes even better the second time around! For the perfect dessert, try my No Bake Lemon Cheesecake Bars.
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasonings
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup minced garlic
- 1 lemon and 1 lime, sliced thin and then halved
- Tzatziki Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 sprig of fresh dill
- Mix your chicken, yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper, olive oil and Italian seasonings and put mixture in the Vacu Vin and marinate for just a few minutes (I know, right?!)
- If you are using wooden skewers, soak in water for 5 minutes. Preheat your grill to high heat. Brush with olive oil.
- Alternate threading 4-6 pieces of chicken with your lemon and lime wedges onto your skewer. When the grill is ready, lay your skewers in the middle of the grill and close the lid. Turn after 3 minutes. Cook an additional 3-4 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.
- Take skewers off the grill and serve with the tzatziki sauce. I eat mine with just the sauce, but my husband makes gyros with flatbread. Either way tastes super yummy!
Are you ready to make this tasty recipe? Let me know what you thought!