30 Minute Layered Turkey Enchilada Casserole Recipe.
I absolutely love Mexican food. The flavors are so strong and rich, making it that much harder to say no to seconds. When I am crunched for time, I’m make one of my family’s favorite dishes, my 30 Minute Layered Turkey Enchilada Casserole Recipe.
This Turkey Enchilada Casserole Recipe is loaded with a ground turkey and cheese mixture – that even by itself, tastes so good! How do I know? I usually scoop up a bit with a couple tortilla chips while I am making it.
This 30 Minute Layered Turkey Enchilada Casserole is perfect for a family meal, a church dinner or potluck. Once you grab a serving, everyone can customize it to their own preference.
You can top this Turkey Enchilada Casserole Recipe with pico de gallo, sour cream, black olives, jalapenos, shredded lettuce, or guacamole. It would be fun to set out your toppings and make an enchilada bar! There’s something fun and festive about serving it that way, don’t you think?
You can also make this Turkey Enchilada Casserole Recipe as gluten free! You can swap out the flour tortillas for gluten-free flour or corn tortillas. It’s a simple ingredient swap that doesn’t affect the flavor at all. This way, anyone with a gluten sensitivity won’t feel left out.
If you want to make a lighter version of this Turkey Enchilada Casserole Recipe, that is easy to do as well. I use low fat cheese and sour cream, and the ground turkey has less calories then ground beef. Don’t forget to pile on the tomatoes and lettuce to make the dish more filling.
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 8-12 8" flour tortillas
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons or one packet of taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 can diced green chilies
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1 can black beans
- 2 cups taco or enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1 1/2 cups fresh pico de gallo
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1 cup shredded lettuce
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brown ground turkey with onions in large skillet on medium-high heat; drain. Add water and taco seasoning. Mix well. Add green chiles, corn and black beans.
- Spray a 9x13" baking dish with vegetable oil
- Lay four flour tortillas on the bottom of the baking dish. Let them overlap and go up the sides a bit
- Spread a layer of the refried beans. Next, spread a layer of the meat mixture. Add 1/2 cup taco or enchilada sauce and sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded cheese. Repeat one more time.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, or until cheese is melted and mixture is bubbling.
- Let rest for 15 minutes. Top with lettuce, sour cream, pico de gallo, avocado and green onions.
What is your favorite Mexican dish to serve your family and friends?