When I was growing up, I was one of 6 kids. To say my mom had her hands full would be an understatement. Mom was a fantastic cook and we always looked forward to her home cooked meals. One of the best times of the year was the holidays. Mom went all out for Thanksgiving and Christmas. To say we had enough food to feed an army, would be another understatement.
One dish we always asked for was mom’s Green Bean Casserole. She used the recipe found on the Campbell’s Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup can. With 6 kids, mom had to fit recipes we all liked that fit into her food budget. That is important to me as a mom as well. Well, now that I am hosting my own holiday parties, I serve a lot of the same dishes my mom did. One of my favorites is still that Green Bean Casserole recipe.
This year, I decided to try something different and come up with a new twist on an old favorite. I am going to be using the same base ingredients from the recipe on the soup can. I am adding cranberries, mushrooms, shredded Colby-Jack cheese, bacon bits and red potatoes. My updated twist on my mom’s recipe is a play on mom’s Shepherd’s Pie recipe.
To the green bean casserole base, I add ¼ cup of cranberries, 1 cup mushrooms, and ¼ cup bacon bits. I bake the casserole for 25 minutes at 350 degrees. While the casserole is baking, I cut the red potatoes into cubes and add them to a large pot of boiling water. I cook the potatoes for 15 minutes, or until tender.
Next, I add 1 cup of sour cream, ½ cup of milk and 2 tablespoons of butter. I take the casserole out of the oven, stir the bean mixture and top it with the potatoes. That bakes that for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are starting to brown. Then I add some of the bacon bits and cheese and bake for another 10 minutes.
- 2 cans (10.5 oz. each) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- ¼ tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 cans (14.5 oz. each) any style Del Monte® Green Beans, drained
- 2 2/3 cups French’s® Crispy Fried Onions, divided
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded cheese, divided
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 1 cup bacon, cooked and chopped, divided
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Stir soup, milk, soy sauce, black pepper, beans, cranberries, mushrooms, 1/2 cup bacon, 1/2 cup shredded cheese and 1-1/3 cups onions in 3-qt. casserole.
- Bake uncovered, for 25 min. or until bean mixture is hot and bubbling. Stir bean mixture. Sprinkle with remaining onions.
- Top with mashed potatoes and sprinkle remaining bacon and shredded cheese.
- Bake for 5-8 min. or until onions are golden brown.
What twist would you put on the Original Green Bean Casserole Recipe?