Do you have a dessert recipe your family cannot get enough of? You know, something sweet that won’t last 24 hours in your house? I have a few, depending on who I make then for. My husband loves my Pumpkin Pie in a Jar recipe. The kids favorite weekend treat is my Gluten Free Lemon Poppy Seed Pound Cake.
There are days I have time to make a few recipes to appease the entire family. Other days, when I am pulling my hair out from the chaos, I do not have the time. Those are the days I need a recipe I can make and know everyone will gobble up. There is one dessert the entire family cannot get enough. My Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes. They love the flavor of the spice of the cake and the homemade cream cheese frosting.
I have been perfecting my baking skills for a few years now. I have come so far from where I used to be. Ya’ll! There were days even the dog would not have eaten my dessert! When Caitlin joined the Robotics team at school, I found myself baking a lot. Those teenagers can pack away some food! They seem to love my cupcakes the most. Caitlin said my Salted Caramel Popcorn Cupcakes only lasted five minutes!
As a way to get our family on a healthier path, I have made changes in the kitchen. We are cutting back on dairy, carbs and red meat. My husband and I both had not so great health exams last year that led to this decision. I didn’t want to completely cut out the desserts everyone loves. That is when I began looking into gluten free and vegan recipes. My Vegan Breakfast Cookies were a huge hit last month.
I decided to make my favorite recipe from my mom into a vegan recipe. The results were my Delicious Vegan Carrot Cake Cupcakes! They went so fast! No kidding. I had to make more for Caitlin’s Robotics meeting tonight. It has been a struggle keeping everyone away from them until I deliver them this afternoon! I cannot wait to see what the kids think. I bet they love them as much as my family did. Fingers crossed!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 ½ cups finely shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 2/3 cup natural unsweetened applesauce
- 2/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan butter, softened
- 12 ounces vegan cream cheese, softened
- 4 1/2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line your cupcake pan with baking cups
- In a medium sized bowl, mix your dry ingredients
- In your mixer, combine your wet ingredients. Add your dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop mixture into muffin tins. About 2/3 full.
- Bake 18-20 minutes, or until tops are golden brown and/or toothpick comes out clean.
- To make frosting:
- In your mixer, cream butter. Add in cream cheese. Mix until creamy and fluffy. Add lemon juice and vanilla. Add confectioner’s sugar 1 cup at a time, until consistency of frosting. Add 1 tablespoon soy or almond milk if needed.
What is your favorite spring/Easter dessert? I would love to know in the comments below!