Easy Layered Beef Taco Salad
This post contains affiliate links or images. When you grow up in a house with 6 kids, you tend to eat a lot of the same foods. We had pot roast on Sunday, spaghetti on Thursday and tacos on Tuesday.
I looked forward to Taco Tuesdays because I loved that zesty meat mixture topped with my favorite ingredients. I love adding fresh tomatoes and the crunch of those corn tortillas. As an adult, I have not lost my love for Taco Tuesday.
To mix things up a bit, I make my Easy Layered Beef Taco Salad! This salad has everything you love about tacos, all in one bowl. This dish is especially perfect for those hot summer days when it’s too hot to cook.
I make a large batch of the mixture for the layered taco salad and freeze. This way, I can defrost it in the microwave and I am ready to go! Also, this salad is absolutely gorgeous! Trust me. People will be afraid to dig in because it is almost too pretty to eat.
If you are a vegetarian, you can leave out the beef or turkey. You can add vegetarian beans and lots of fresh vegetables. My husband loves corn and black olives in his. I am not a fan, so I leave it out of mine. That is another reason making an individual layered taco salad is so great.
You can make it to suit the tastes of each person. I serve this 6 layered taco salad in a glass trifle bowl. In less than 3 minutes, I have a happy family with happy bellies!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small red or yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons of diced garlic
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground beef or turkey
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 avocado, pitted
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled unsalted tortilla chips
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- 1 15-ounce can spicy pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 5 ounce can of black beans, rinsed
- 5 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and cook 1-2 minutes or until translucent. Add beef or turkey and cook until no longer pink, stirring and breaking up lumps as you go.
- Add beef broth, chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Turn heat down to low and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash avocado, yogurt and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl with a fork until smooth.
- Transfer the taco mixture to a serving bowl. Layer chips, salsa, beans and lettuce over the taco mixture. Spread the avocado mixture over the lettuce. Top with cheese, then tomato.
What would you add to your Layered Beef Taco Salad for Taco Tuesday?