I have always had a huge sweet tooth. I have decided to make changes in my diet. I am eating a healthy food plan, which includes many swaps. I am swapping whole grains for white, water for soda and a low or no calorie sweetener when I bake as well as in my coffee. This allows me to experience the joy of sugar without the calories!
If you are worried about the sweet factor with a no or low calorie sugar, don’t! They have the sweet taste of sugar, but fewer calories. You can enjoy the foods you love and feel good about the choices you’re making. If you have a favorite Recipe, you can use a low or no calorie sweetender when you are cooking or baking. When I made the swap in my mom’s Chewy Gingerbread Cookie Recipe, my family could not tell the difference!
When you swap one cup of sugar with one cup of a low or no calorie sweetener, you can save more than 600 calories. That shocked me! By replacing three tablespoons of sugar in my coffee, I save almost 130 calories per day. These choices can help consumers create a sweet life and ensure a sweet future down the road. Now I can enjoy a few of my mom’s Chewy Gingerbread Cookie Recipe and not throw my diet off the rails!
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup margarine, softened
- 1 cup Splenda brown sugar blend
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2/3 cup granulated Splenda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and Splenda brown sugar blend until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients.
- Line cookie sheets with silicone baking mat. In small bowl, place granulated Splenda. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; roll in granulated Splenda. On cookie sheets, place balls 2 inches apart.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or just until set and soft in center. Cool 2 minutes; remove from cookie sheets to cooling racks.