This is a guest post from Kathy Hardess, Senior editor at DIYFormula.com. Making your own bed frame is a new trend that actually isn’t too difficult. In addition to being a fun and easy project, making your own bed frame can also save you and your family money! Today we will share five do-it-yourself (DIY) bed frame ideas to inspire your own bed frame. Knowing how to craft a bed frame is a great skill to have in your tool belt!
1. DIY Bed frame – The Standard Option: When making your own type of diy bed frames, a platform design is a common and functional choice. It’s ranked by specialized sites like DIYFormula, as one of the most easy-to-make bed frames. You can craft your own platform bed frame with storage by starting out with medium density fiberboard to save money on materials. If you are making a frame for a full-sized bed you will need 4 sheets. Since this is
not real wood, you will most likely want to paint it after.
To assemble the bed, simply make two large boxes and screw them together. Attach wheels to the bottom and leave the open side of the boxes facing outward so you can utilize that space for storage. The wheels make it easy to move the bed and it can never hurt to have a little extra storage!
2. Hotel-Inspired Bed Frame: If you are looking for something a little fancier than the platform bed but something that is still easy to make, the Hotel-Inspired bed frame is likely to be the answer. To make the Hotel-Inspired bed frame, you will need some 2x4s to start the outer frame of the bed and then to fill the inner frame.
If you choose to add a headboard, you will also need to grab some 1×6 boards. You can arrange these boards at an angle to create the appearance of a chevron pattern. Do not forget to paint the bed frame and headboard to take the look to the next level!
3. Simple Bed Frame: Go back to the basics with this simple bed frame. You will need various sizes of wood and hairpin or another type of sturdy legs to make this minimalist bed frame. After arranging the pieces in a square, you will need to attach the legs and you will be ready to hop on your new bed!
If you want a simple headboard too, basically, you will be doing the same thing you did for the bed frame, but on a smaller scale. The directions also include how to stencil a saying onto the headboard.
4. Pallet Bed Frame: If you are trying to make a frame for a smaller bed, a pallet bed is a great option. You’ll probably be able to snatch 4 pallets from a local recycler for around $50. You can trim the pallets down a little to fit the size of the room and the twin bed. Once the pallets are the appropriate size, screw them together and then coat them with white paint.
If you do not have a lot of room for a night stand, leave a little excess pallet and that can easily work as a nice space for decor or to sit down items that you may need by your bed.
5. Floating Bed Frame: A floating bed frame is a truly unique bed frame that you can make by yourself for a fraction of the cost that you would normally have to pay for a bed frame at the store. You can make a bed frame by grabbing the woodcuts and plywood that you will need to build the frame and headboard. The headboard is not optional with this DIY because you have to have something to hold up the frame itself.
You will make an intricate pattern to lay under the plywood for extra support since the bed frame will essentially be “floating.” You can take this bed to the next level by adding rope lights underneath the bottom of the frame. The lights will shine when the room is dark and create the illusion of a magical force that is keeping your bed in the air.
Regardless of the type of DIY bed frames you choose to make, you will likely be saving money because it is cheaper to make it yourself than to pay for someone to make it for you and have it delivered to your home. When making your own bed frame you also get the choice of customizing the bed frame to your individual needs. This could come in the small details like adding storage or even in picking your favorite stain color.