Question of the day. How do you cook for your family when you are short on time? Easy! Weekly meal prepping and cooking. My husband and I shop on Saturday and my daughter and I cook on Sunday. I label and place all our meals and snacks in the freezer and fridge. For the next week, we grab a container and heat it up. In a few weeks, I am going to share some of my favorite recipes, so stay tuned!
Meal prep and cooking ahead works especially well for breakfast. We tend to run late in the mornings. Grabbing one of my Savory Cottage Cheese Breakfast Muffins on the way out the door is perfect. They are a popular part of my weekly food prep because we all love them. You can see a dozen disappear in a few days!
This Cottage Cheese Breakfast Muffins recipe comes from my friend Nancy. She is my partner in crime when it comes to weight loss and working out. She is a great motivator and provider of recipes! Her version of this recipe is vegetarian, which I love. She packs her muffins with spinach, peppers, onions, broccoli and mushrooms. My family are more of the carnivore type, so they prefer the meat lovers version!
In the recipe widget below, I included spinach and scallions. In the batch I made for this post, I left them out. When I prep, I make two batches of this recipe. I will make a meat lovers style for my hubby and kids. For myself, I make a veggie filled version. Both are delicious, so it depends on your preference!
I want to point out how much I do not like cottage cheese. I know it seems funny to post a Cottage Cheese Breakfast Muffins recipe with this in mind. Nancy assured me you cannot tell there is cottage cheese in the recipe. She was right! It lends a creaminess and mellow taste to the muffins. They are spectacular. If you cannot do the cottage cheese, you can substitute cream cheese. Again, either way, you get a muffin you will have a hard time eating only one!
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup lowfat buttermilk or skim milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute or egg whites
- ¾ cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup lite butter, melted
- ¾ cup diced ham
- 1/4 cup diced turkey bacon
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400?F. Add flour, cheese, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk together. Mix together milk, eggs, cottage cheese, and butter in a separate bowl. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until just combined, Fold in ham, bacon, scallions, and spinach.
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray or line with cupcake liners. Fill each cup about 2/3 full. Top with Parmesan cheese. Bake 22-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Let stand about 5 minutes before serving.
Have you ever done meal prep and weekly cooking? I would love to hear your favorite part/recipes! Please share below!